Monday, December 20, 2004

Why I Will be Greeting Everyone with "Happy Holidays"

Now that Bill O’Reilly, James Dobson and every other “Christian” merchant of divisiveness and discord in the religious right’s self declared culture war has decided that saying “Merry Christmas” is the cross upon which Christian theology hangs I lay before my conservative Christian Brethren this challenge:

1) What is the origin of the Christmas holiday? You may not like the answer.
2) Where in the New Testament are Christians commanded to observe Christmas? Hint, we're not.
3) Where in the New Testament is "Christmas" even mentioned? Hint, it isn't.

4) Where in the bible are we commanded to coerce non-Christians into recognizing our holidays? Let me know what you find because I didn’t have any luck.

I’m just asking because to some in the Christian community saying “Merry Christmas” appears to be an issue serious enough that we are willing to boycott stores threatening the livelihoods of thousands of working class Americans. I know we wouldn’t take such dramatic steps unless there were some very good Biblically sound reasons. Afterall, this is a holiday named for our lord and savior. By what authority to we threaten people in Christ's name?

I await the learned responses of my fellow Christians!

As for my Christian household, we will celebrate Christmas without the coercion and all are welcome to join us whether or not they believe in Christ.

Happy Holidays

1 Comments:

At December 22, 2004 at 9:30 PM, Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

I read in the Dallas Morning News about the little town of Mustang, OK, who voted against a bond program(which included funding for a new school to relieve overcrowding)for their own schools in an effort to "get the attention" of the school superintendent, who said no to a manger in a school Christmas play. I think this is one of those incidents of cutting off the nose to spite the face...unless the issue of a manger in the school play realy is so important it's worth denying your own kids a new school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home